State of Wonder (2011) is a novel by American author Ann Patchett. It is about a drug company employee who journeys toBrazil, to bring back information about seemingly miraculous drug research being conducted there by Dr. Swenson on behalf of the company.
The novel was nominated for the Wellcome Trust Book Prize (2011), and shortlisted for the Orange Prize for Fiction (2012). It was listed for a Salon Book Award (2011), Christian Science Monitor Best Book (2011), Time Magazine's Best Books of the Year (2011), The Morning News Tournament of Books (2012), Publishers Weekly's Top 10 Best Books (2011), and New York Times bestseller (2011).
State of Wonder Summer 2013 Reading Activity
READ EVERY WORD OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOU BEGIN YOUR SUMMER READING ACTIVITY
Following ALL of the directions is required to earn a high grade on your assignment.
A. 1. Choose one of the three (3) listed writing prompts.
2. Read the text.
3. While reading take HAND WRITTEN notes that identify
the theme, and the support for that theme.
4. Format your HAND WRITTEN notes in the following manner:
HAND WRITTEN NOTES REQUIRED.Typed notes will not be accepted.
(Staple all note pages together in upper left corner)
(place page # on every page) Page 1
Your full Name (place on every page of your notes)
English II assigned teacher (check your schedule-Ms. Bowles or Ms. Meadows)
Theme You are Tracing Quoted Lines or Examples Page Number(s) for Support
Ex. Courage " I was afraid to jump, but I did" Page 12
The character, xxxxxx, stood up to her boss. Pages 34-37
*You do not need to re-write the theme unless it changes
(Be sure to collect lines/incidents that span the entire story)
*YOUR HAND WRITTEN NOTES will be collected on the day you take your test (Monday or Tuesday, after-school). These notes, along with your essay, are part of your activity grade. Be sure to staple your notes and include your first and last name on every page, along with a page number.
B. After tracing your chosen theme throughout the novel, write a formal essay answering the chosen prompt. Be sure to
answer all of the questions in the prompt. Also, be sure to include specific examples with quoted lines from the novel.
Your essay is due on the day you take your test. Your essay should be 2-3 pages. It should not be more than 3 pages.
Typed Essay (notes must be hand written)
Font size 12
Times New Roman font
Title your essay
White-out, Smudge & Tear Free (this is a formal essay and should be presented as one)
Do not print on the back
2-3 pages, not more than 3 pages
Place name, teacher's name (Ms. Bowles or Ms. Meadows), course title, and date, in upper left corner of essay's first page.
Staple your essay pages together, upper left corner. Do not place in a plastic cover/folder.
WRITING PROMPTS (choose one) USE YOUR NOTES to write this essay.
1. Trace and analyze one major theme of State of Wonder. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action? Explain using numerous details and examples from the text. Be sure to use quotation marks around any lines you copy into your paper. Include examples that span the entire novel from beginning to end.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in State of Wonder. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid? Explain using numerous details and examples from the text. Be sure to use quotation marks around any lines you copy into your paper. Include examples that span the entire novel from beginning to end.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in State of Wonder. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why? Explain using numerous details and examples from the text. Insert lines from the text. Be sure to use quotation marks around any lines you copy into your paper. Include examples that span the entire novel from beginning to end.
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||08/19/2013 12:00 pm