Reconstruction and Race Relations Paper
The text covers the thorny history of race relations in America. The events of the Reconstruction during the late nineteenth century highlight some of the complications that white Americans and people of color encountered as they attempted to live together.
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
- Examine three (3) methods that the overwhelmingly white southerner power structure used after the Civil War to make the exercise of freedom challenging for former slaves.
- Identify three (3) actions which freed people took in order to challenge the efforts of certain white southerners to keep them in a slave status following the end of the Civil War.
- Describe two (2) aspects of the post-Reconstruction political and social climate that left former slaves and other groups vulnerable to discrimination and second class citizenship. Note: Discuss at least two (2) pieces of legislation at the local, state, and/or federal levels during the nineteenth century that solidified the status of African Americans and other non-white Americans.
- Provide two (2) examples of the effects of racial tension from the nineteenth century which have spilled over into American society today.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment besides the textbook. Note: Wikipedia and most other nonacademic websites do not qualify as academic resources. For instance, Ask.com, homework wikis and other websites are not suitable.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recognize and discuss the different ways that the heritage of slavery, the Civil War, the Reconstruction, and segregation have shaped America’s history – even to the present day.
- Recognize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government have influenced the direction of historical and social development in the United States.
- Recognize the major turning points in American history since the Civil War.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in contemporary U.S. history.
- Write clearly and concisely about contemporary U.S. history using proper writing mechanics.
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||10/23/2013 05:00 pm