Project: Descriptive Epidemiology of a Selected Public Health Problem
Select either Meningococcal disease or Hepatitis C to explore in detail by using a descriptive epidemiologic approach. The objectives of this exercise are to:
Gain experience in describing an analyzing the distribution of a health disorder in a population;
Become familiar with various sources of data for the epidemiologic description of a health disorder;
Enhance the ability to make sound epidemiologic judgments related to public health problems.
Examples of sources of data:
Morbidity and mortality reports (vital statistics); World Health Organization and international reports; U.S., federal, state, and local annual and periodic reports;
Current literature on the selected health problem;
Reports of special surveys
MODEL FOR ORGANIZATION OF THE PAPER:
1. Define the problem (nature, extent, significance, etc.).
2. Describe the agent.
3. Describe the condition (briefly).
4. Examine the above sources for data on morbidity and mortality in the selected health problem.
5. Summarize these data on the distribution of the selected health problem according to the following factors, using tables, graphs, or other illustrations whenever possible.
A. Host characteristics
a. Host characteristics
iv. Marital status
v. Ethnic group
b. Environmental attributes
i. Geographic areas
ii. Social and economic factors (income and housing)
c. Temporal (time) variation
d. Any additional characteristic that contributes to an epidemiologic description of the disease
6. Summarize any current hypotheses that have been proposed to explain the observed distribution.
7. List the principal gaps in knowledge about the distribution of the health problem
8. Suggest area for further epidemiologic research.
9. Critically appraise the data as a whole; consult primary sources and important original papers.
|Due By (Pacific Time)||11/27/2013 12:00 pm|
out of 1971 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 1164 reviews
out of 721 reviews
out of 1600 reviews
out of 770 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 680 reviews