Readings to Use: McMahon, Kinzer, Benson, Judge & Langdon, all Documents)
From the Truman, Stalin, Mao era of the late 1940s to the Reagan, Gorbachev, Deng era of the 1980s-1991, identify and explain the 4 main stages or turning points that defined the Cold War and all its tensions and complexities. Be sure to avoid summarizing or merely reporting on any part of the readings.
Paper Guidelines and Criteria for Evaluation
Essays should be 10 double-spaced pages, 12 point font, one inch margins. Your name and the question should precede the text of your essay on a title page. Any text material quoted must be in quotation marks and quotations or paraphrasing should be cited in your text as follows: (Kinzer, p. 23), (Lecture 2/3), or (Film: Gandhi). Use the outline format found in lesson notes to prepare your essay. Consult the links that describe paraphrasing and how to avoid plagiarism in preparing your essay.
There is no one correct answer to any of the essay questions. Your task is to consider all of the course material that pertains to the question (not just the major text), decide for yourself what the most important factors are, and write a persuasive analytical essay that selectively uses all of our course materials to support your arguments. Use only our course material in preparing your essay.
Take seriously the following criteria for evaluating essay:
1)Start with an introduction that mentions the topic, your question, and, briefly, the main points of your paper.
2) Devote a paragraph (7-8 sentences long) to each main point and keep each paragraph on that point. Begin each paragraph with a clear statement of your main point. Stick to discussion of your main points: no
general background, no switching focus mid-stream.
3) Demonstrate a thorough reading of all the required readings the information and an understanding of issues raised in our discussions thus far – you do this best by citing all of our sources.
4) Selective use all of our course materials as evidence to support your argument. Use only our course material in preparing your essay. Direct quotation of full sentences, key terms and phrases, as well as paraphrased/summarized passages cited in text as noted above. Since each point is covered in a paragraph there should be 2 citations per paragraph. Quotations longer than a short sentence would be inappropriate for a 10 page paper.
5) A conclusion that summarizes your main points in a brief final paragraph.
6) Mechanics: strive for proper spelling, grammar, sentence structure and avoid awkward phrases, and improper or inadequate citation of references.
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||02/25/2014 12:00 am