When applying for jobs, a professional cover letter is the first opportunity that you have to create a positive impression with an employer. This task will involve writing a strong cover letter for 1 of the positions that you researched in the Week 2 Discussion Board task.
To write a professional cover letter, it is important to understand the skills that are necessary for the position that you are pursuing. Use the following steps to identify those skills:
Setting up Your Optimal Resume Account
- Go to https://coloradotech.optimalresume.com. For more information regarding how to use the Optimal Resume site, please view the following presentation: Optimal Resume Presentation.
- Note: You must upgrade to Internet explorer 7.0 to operate Optimal Resume. If you require help with the upgrade, please contact Technical Support.
- Log in or create a log-in for yourself using your CTU e-mail address.
Cover Letter Instructions
- Click on the "Document Center."
- Click on "Create New Letter" within the Letters box.
Create Your Cover Letter
- Create a name for your letter draft.
- Click on "Start Letter."
- Click on “Continue” within the “Browse Samples” box, and click on the cover letter sample entitled “CTU Cover Letter Guide.”
- Click on “Use this Sample.” This sample has been designed to help you develop content in 3 targeted sections. Read the instructional content and use the example text to create your own letter.
- Some of the information will automatically fill in from whatever you included on your Optimal Resume account. Make sure you provide appropriate edits to this information. As you move down the document, you will need to complete each section by clicking on the specific area you wish to work on. Be sure to save each section as you complete it and also delete the original instructions as you provide your own content. Do not simply fill in the appropriate words: instead, read the guide and develop your own content to describe your experience and skills in a way that will show how you fit the needs of the employer.
Save Your Cover Letter
- Once you are finished editing your letter, click on “Download,” then “Microsoft Word Compatible,” and then “Open.” Your document is now open in Word.
- Save your cover letter to your home computer. Each document you create must have a different file name (e.g., janesmithCL1 and janesmithCL2).
- Your document is now saved in 2 locations: On your home computer and on your Optimal Resume Document Center.
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||03/02/2014 12:00 am