Prepare a one to one and a half page, typed, double-spaced paper summarizing 3 to 5 of the important points of the session’s assigned reading. Please provide some brief justification/ reasoning as to why those points are important and pertinent to management practice. This summary must be in APA format with a cover page. Grades will be based on the content level of the paper. Please upload your paper into Canvas.
What management skills do you think you will need to be promoted to a higher level?
You are assigned to read chapters 8 and 9 in the Bateman and Snell text.
You must create an analysis of the main concepts of the chapters and give business examples to demonstrate that you understand these concepts through the assigned question.
Source:Bateman, T. S., & Snell, S. A. (2013). Management: Leading and collaborating in a competitive world (10th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
My recommendation is to purchase the APA Publication Manual 6th edition and get to know it inside and out. If you just looked at the sample papers found on pages 41-59, your APA usage would improve a lot. Other pages will be needed to get your references and citations correct.
I have included below some of the common mistakes found in this week's papers. During Week 2, the grading will become stricter:
- Use a "Running head:" on page 1 only. Note the capitalization. The title of your running head appears all in caps, and the page # must appear on all pages.
- Include a title page for all weekly summaries. See the APA for what goes on it ... and note that it all goes in the top 1/3 of the page.
- Do not include an abstract until the final research paper.
- Citations have a specific APA format! (Name(s), date, p. #).
- Do not cite every line (unless it is a direct quote) ... just cite after the end of the authors paraphrased work.
- Do not use the royal we in your paper. "We studied ...."
- Keep all references to the authors in the past tense.
- Spell check and proof read your document BEFORE submission. Please!
- Use italics for an important word or phrase, not quotation marks. For instance: that is remarkable.
- You MUST use quotes for any words from the author (3 words or more).
- There are many long paragraphs: consider looking for 3 paragraphs per page (although there must be at least two sentences per paragraph - preferably three as a minimum).
- APA always uses: Times New Roman, 12 pt, 1" margins, page numbers, paragraph indents, and doubled spaced.
- Learn APA references for books and journals: capitalization, italics, abbreviations, city/state, page #s or not, publishers, websites ...
- APA never uses the term Works Cited ... it is Reference or References.
- Always use a hanging indent for line 2+ for any reference.
- The proper reference for our text is:
Bateman, T. S., & Snell, S. A. (2013). Management: Leading and collaborating in a competitive world (10th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Note use of periods and commas
- Note use of capitalization in the title
- Note use of italics
- Note edition
- Note city/state
- Note publisher (although we never use the words "Publisher, Inc, Company, or LTD", but we would keep the words "Books or Press". Welcome to the APA!
- Note page numbers never appear for a book, but they are used in a journal entry.
- Note there is no hanging indent: this is a mistake caused by Bb. You can fix this in MSWord.