- What is the first thing you notice about Spiegelman's method of presentation? What characterizes his comic-book style?
- Before the memoir proper begins, why does Spiegelman (Artie) present us with the roller-skating episode from his childhood?
- When and where does the first chapter take place? What was Vladek's profession?
- When he goes to see his relatives in Poland, how are the Poles depicted?
- Whom does Vladek marry and where do they live?
- Why does Art include the story about Lucia, when his father told him to leave it out? What does Art mean when he says he wants to make the story more real, more human?
- In Chapter One, is there any sense of what's about to happen to Vladek, his family, and his people?
Study Questions for Spiegelman's Maus, Vol. 1, Ch. 2
- What gets Anja in trouble, how does Vladek react, and how do they get out of it?
- What happens to Anja shortly after the birth of their son, Richieu?
- What do they see when they go to Czechoslovakia in 1938?
- What do they hear about what is happening in Germany?
- What is the situation when they return to Poland?
- What happens to Vladek shortly after they return?
- Why do you think Art concludes the chapter in the way he does, just as Vladek goes to war?
What do we learn by this brief return to the present?
Study Questions for Spiegelman's Maus, Vol. 1, Ch. 3
- How does Art open chapter three? What do we learn?
- What did Vladek's father do when Vladek was called to join the army as a young man?
- What happens to Vladek in the war?
- What is life like for Vladek in the prisoner of war camp?
- What dream does Vladek have in the camp?
- What happens when the POWs are returned to Poland?
- How does Vladek get out of the POW camp?
- How does Vladek get back to Sosnowiec?
- How does Chapter Three conclude? What do these episodes from the present show us about Vladek? About Art? Why does Art include them?
Study Questions for Spiegelman's Maus, Vol. 1, Ch. 4
- How is Vladek able to get by in Sosnowiec?
- Describe the increasingly difficult conditions in the town.
- What does Ilzecki propose to Vladek? What is the outcome, both for Vladek's family and Ilzecki's?
- What happens to some of Vladek's black market business contacts? How does Vladek react, then and now?
- What happens to Anja's grandparents? What does Vladek say here about Jews' attitudes toward turning in other Jews?
- What does Vladek say about their knowledge of Auschwitz?
- What happens at the massive registration in the stadium?
- What do we learn in the concluding scene with Mala and Art?
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||05/13/2014 12:00 am