After you read the assigned readings and lecture on this topic, we will have an online discussion here. To complete this assignment you must create at least one thread (and cite two of the readings) and respond to at least 2 of your fellow students. Please discuss what kinds of technologies are part of new media and how do we distinguish new media from old media?
lowest price win
- "Clive Thompson on How YouTube Changes the Way We Think," by Clive Thompson, Wired, 12.22.2008; available at http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/17-01/st_thompson
- "New Media from Borges to HTML" by Lev Manovich. in The New Media Reader by N. Wardrip-Fruin and N. Montfort (eds.). MIT Press, 2003. pp. 13-25. On e-reserve with the Newman Library.
- 8 Business Technology Trends to Watch. McKinsey Quarterly December 2007, available at: http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Information_Technology/Applications/Eight_business_technology_trends_to_watch_2080
- Podcasts: New Twist on Net Audio, Wired, Oct 8, 2004. available at http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/news/2004/10/65237/
- "Yahoo’s Answer to Speech Recognition for Your Cellphone," by David Pogue, New York Times, July 10, 2008; at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/technology/personaltech/10pogue-email.html
- "Who Needs a TV? I’m Watching on a Laptop ," by Laura M. Holson, New York Times, December 3, 2008; Available at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/04/technology/personaltech/04basics.html?emc=eta1
- "English gets millionth word on Wednesday, site says" by John D. Sutter, /CNN.com - Technology, 06.10.2009; available at http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/06/10/million.words/index.html?iref=mpstoryview
- "Articles of Faith " by Virginia Heffernan, The New York Times Magazine, January 3, 2010, p. MM20. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/magazine/03FOB-medium-t.html.
- Why Television Still Shines in a World of Screens by Randall Stross, The New York Times, Feb 8, 2009, available at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/business/media/08digi.html
- Old Media Hits the Skids by Joyce Hanson Crain's New York Business, Dec 22, 2007. available at http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007465255421
- Turner's Secret Web Weapon: How Old Media guy David Levy is marrying TV and the Internet in new ways" article from Business Week December 20, 2007, available at: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_53/b4065092331473.htm
- "The End of Books" by Robert Coover.The New York Times Book Review 11, 23-25, June 21, 1992. http://www.nytimes.com/books/98/09/27/specials/coover-end.html
- "Publisher Rethinks the Daily: It’s Free and Printed and Has Blogs All Over" by Claire Cain Miller.The New York Times, January 22, 2009. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/22/technology/start-ups/22blogpaper.html
- Michael Jackson: how celebrity gossip site TMZ got scoop of the decade by Stephen Brook, The Guardian, http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/26/michael-jackson-tmz-scoop
- Media: Don't Fear New Technologies by Andrew Savikas, Forbes.com, February 19, 2010. Available at: http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/19/kindle-ipad-internet-technology-cio-network-media.html.
- Survey Finds Slack Editing on Magazine Web Sites by STEPHANIE CLIFFORD, The NY Times, March 1, 2010 p. B6. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/01/business/media/01mag.html
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||06/05/2014 11:00 am