Throughout the book, we discuss brands and will continue this discussion for the assignment. Many higher ed and corporate organizations have brand identity guidelines online. These guidelines are important documents that outline what can and cannot be done to the brand's creative materials and instructions for how the brand is to be externally and internally portrayed and can contain a breadth of information including the brand mantra, brand promise, and implementation rules for a variety of mediums. Brand identity guidelines can also be known as brand toolkits, identity toolkits, brand guidelines, or creative toolkits. Brand identity guidelines are not logo guidelines, logo usage guidelines, website guidelines, nor website usage guidlines nor similar guidelines that only discuss one piece of the brand or one piece of the marketing approach. For example:
- Washington State University: http://brand.wsu.edu
- Best Buy: http://bbybrandidentity.com
- 3M: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_WW/Corp/Identity/
- Oregon State University: http://oregonstate.edu/brand/
For this assignment, students will:
- identify the name of the company or higher ed organization. Do not choose the examples already provided above.
- identify the URL of the higher ed or corporate organization's brand identity guidelines (double check the URL goes directly to the guidelines).
- identify the brand mantra of the company or higher ed organization (also known as brand promise or brand statement, this is not the mission statement nor the tagline). See page 284 of the Kotler and Keller textbook for more about brand mantras.
- identify all the primary organization's brand extensions and sub-brands. Do not list independent brands nor competitor brands. See page 260 of the textbook for more about brand extensions and sub-brands.
- identify one surprising rule from the toolkit/guideline. Why is this rule surprising? Identify the location of the rule in the toolkit/guidelines, via URL and/or specific provide instructions to locate the rule.
- locate three examples of advertising for the same company identified in number 1 above (an online, direct mail, tv, radio, movie theatre, bus, billboard, print ad, etc.) that meets the regulations placed in the brand toolkit for the identified organization. Do not use the company website(s) or the company's social media page(s) website as an example for this question. Each of the three examples, must be from different medias (for example, one billboard, one video, one radio, or one movie theatre, one bus ad, and one online ad. Oppositely: a bad example is all three examples are videos or two billboards). If you choose a commercial or ad you found on YouTube or the internet, you must answer the questions based on it being a commercial or image you found in real life (for example: I will not accept an answer to number 2 and 6 as "I found it on YouTube and it was free to place here." You must answer the questions as a commercial you found on TV and the cost to place the ad on TV). Students must complete the following questions based on the examples found:
- Embed or place the images of the three ads or a link directly to the video.
- Identify where these items were located (be specific: for example - if you found a commercial - what channel? what TV program was playing? what time and date? Another example: if you found a billboard - what street was it located on? what are the major buildings around the billboard? Is there anything significant about these buildings, stores, or location that would tell you why this ad was placed on this specific billboard? See the note above about YouTube and images found on the internet.
- How does this ad meet the organization's brand guidelines you found above? Be sure to mention how it meets the brand mantra from question 3 above.
- What is the target market for each of the three ads (be as specific as possible)? How do you know this?
- Based on the ads collected, do you feel the company is using a holistic marketing approach, integrating marketing approach, or neither? Explain.
- Based on what you have found above about the company, do you foresee any issues with the implementation of the company's brand? Be as critical as possible and explain the issue(s) clearly.
- Based on what you have found above about the company, what would you suggest in order to improve the implementation of the brand? Be specific and clearly explain how the brand implementation can be improved.
Format and important notes for the completed assignment:
- Upload via this Assignment page in a .doc or .docx file.
- The completed assignment must be less than five pages total.
- No cover page.
- No table of contents.
- Resource all interviews, websites, locations of ads, and all other sourced materials in APA format. See www.apastyle.org for more information.
- Provide clearly identifiable headers for the responses to each question.
- Use Times New Roman, size 12
- One inch margins on top, left, right, and bottom
- Answer all questions and secondary questions clearly and with full explanation.
- No grammatical or spelling errors.
- The deadline for this assignment is Wednesday June 18 at 11:59pm.
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||06/18/2014 02:00 pm