- Pick ONE essay to do.
- You will lose points if you don't cite references. YOU MUST use your textbook (the specific pages used) and lecture notes as your primary references. You may, if you need it, use one additional outside reference---Wikipedia is not an acceptable reference. Livestrong.com is not an acceptable reference. In general, .com websites aren't appropriately authoritative to use. There are exceptions (such as Mayoclinic.com), and if you want to check with me, just email me the link, and I can let you know if it would be okay to use an external websias your 3rd reference.
- CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR IS EXPECTED , and is much appreciated. Essays should be approximately 2-3 paragraphs in length, but quality of the answer is more important than quantity.
1. Osteoporosis is a disease that can affect people as they age. There are some factors that can't be controlled in the development of this disease (age, gender, genetics). However, some factors can reduce risks for development of osteoporosis as one ages. Address each of the following factors below and explain their effect on osteoporosis, especially in terms of reducing risks:
- diet: specifically one's intake of calcium and vitamin D
- exercise, especially weight bearing exercise
- smoking and alcohol consumption
2. Read the following case study, and make four recommendations as to what this woman needs to do to improve her chances for a healthier pregnancy (and a healthier new born infant)?
- This is Sarajane's second pregnancy. Since her first pregnancy (healthy and normal birth of a 7 lb 10 oz baby), Sarajane has gone back to smoking and drinking wine or beer nearly every evening. She has a stressful job, and her relationship with her husband is not always supportive. She jogs on a treadmill at her job--she works in customer service at a big insurance company. She goes to the gyn a few evenings a week to work out with the equipment. Her typical calorie intake per day is around 1200 to 1400 kcals. (Breakfast is usually black coffee and a piece of toast). Sarajane has just gone to the doctor's for her first prenatal visit---she is in the 3rd month of her pregnancy, and was not taking prenatal vitamins prior to this first visit, even though she knows she should have been on at least a folate supplement since before becoming pregnant. She has no plans to breast feed, though she did breast feed her first child. She has wine with her dinner on most evenings, and tells the doctor that it helps her "relax after a tough day at work." Make four specific recommendations that Sarajane needs to know to improve her health, and this pregnancy. Explain why you think she should follow these recommendations (how they will make the pregnancy healthier for her and the fetus).
3. Discuss four techniques for proper food handling in the home that could reduce risks for foodborne illness.
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||06/18/2014 12:00 am