Assume that this experiment is tested at an ambient temperature of 20oC, so the velocity for
sound in traveling in air is 343 m/s.
2. Fill a water glass, approximately 17 cm high, with tap water. The glass needs to be wide
enough to hold the plastic pipe.
3. Allow the tap water to equilibrate to ambient temperature. Use a thermometer to
measure both the room temperature and the water; when they are the same
temperature the water is equilibrated. Record this temperature in Data Table 1.
4. Place the plastic tube into the water.
5. Hold the tuning fork by its handle and strike it against a wooden block or against the
heel of your shoe.
6. Hold the vibrating tuning fork so that the tines are horizontally aligned near the top of the
tube, but not touching the tube
1. Calculate the experimental speed of sound:
v = f λ
v Velocity of sound
f Frequency of the tuning fork
λ 4(L + 0.3d)
2. Calculate the theoretical speed of sound (v):
v = 331.4 + 0.6TC m/s
331.4 m/s is the speed of sound at 20ºC
TC is the temperature of air during testing
3. Calculate the percent error of your experimentally derived value:
% error = experimental value – theoretical value × 100
4. Considering the length of your resonance tube, what is the lowest frequency tuning fork
you could use for this experiment? Show your calculations!
5. A person fishing from a pier observes that four wave crests pass by in 7.0 s and
estimates that the distance between two successive crests is 4.0 m. The timing starts
with the first crest and ends with the fourth. What is the speed of the wave?
A. Search for examples of resonance frequencies that have occurred on bridges, sport
stadiums, and mosh pits. Write a one page paper on how these instances of resonance
occurred and what effects they had on these structures.
B. Referring to the question above, what steps can be taken in designing a structure to
prevent resonant frequencies from occurring. Hint: search the Web for “damping
|Due By (Pacific Time)||07/08/2014 12:00 am|
out of 1971 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 1164 reviews
out of 721 reviews
out of 1600 reviews
out of 770 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 680 reviews