This is an essay-style, please make sure your answers are complete and comprehensive and in your own words. Answer any FOUR (4) of the following questions.
1. What were the issues involved in the declaration of war against Great Britain in 1812? How did the War of 1812 contribute to or reflect regional differences in the country?
2. Discuss the three main issues that dominated and defined Andrew Jackson's presidency and the Democratic Party. What were the root causes of the issues and what were the implications for the nation and the Democratic Party?
3. What was the ideology of "manifest destiny?" How did it justify American expansion in the mid-19th century? How was territorial expansion influenced by the politics of race?
4. In what ways did white Southern politicians and intellectuals attempt to strengthen the institution of slavery in the 1820s? What types of arguments did they make to justify slavery?
5. The process of compromise that successfully contained tensions between slave and free states since the founding of the country collapsed with secession. Why did compromise fail at this moment in time? From 1846 to 1861, what specific conflicts and attempts to solve them contributed to the collapse of the Union?
6. Brilliant military strategy alone did not determine the outcome of the Civil War. Victory also depended upon generating enough revenue to wage war, the ability to mobilize men and material, diplomacy, and politics. Given these considerations, explain why the Confederacy believed it would succeed. Why did it fail?
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||08/06/2014 02:00 pm