Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is to explore the issue of HIV/AIDS among a certain population group (e.g., men who have sex with men, drug users, heterosexual men, African-American women, Hispanic bisexual men, people from low socioeconomic backgrounds etc) and to examine HIV/AIDS prevention efforts among this group. You will compare HIV/AIDS among your selected population group in the US with HIV/AIDS among your selected population group from another country. Examples of titles for your paper include "HIV/AIDS among transgender women in the US and Thailand" or "HIV/AIDS among African-American women in the US and women in Nigeria" or "HIV/AIDS among gay men over 40 in the US and gay man over 40 in the UK." Just pick a population group and a comparison country. If you are unsure which population group or comparison country to focus on or if you wish to confirm the population group or comparison country that you have chosen, please feel free to contact me before writing your paper. Make sure when choosing a population group and a comparison country that you will be able to find enough peer-review journal articles on your group and your comparison country. I suggest doing a thorough search of the college library electronic databases before finalizing which population group and which country you are going to write about.
To do: Write a paper that addresses all of the following components:
1) Identify the extent of the problem and explain why it interests you personally.
2) As a future health educator (or other human service professional), why is it important for you to know about this problem.
3) What are the causes of this problem (include your own personal opinion as well) among this group.
4) Describe mainstream attitudes in society about this problem and specifically toward this group and state whether you think they are justified.
5) Compare HIV/AIDS between this population group and a similar population group in another country. Make sure you choose a country and not a continent. Africa is a continent so please do not choose Africa. You need to identify a country in Africa. Sub-Saharan Africa is a region. It is not a country. Make sure you focus on one country and not write about several countries or a region.
6) Locate one organization in the US and one in this other country that deals with HIV/AIDS prevention with this group. Describe the goals of each organization, types of services, problems and any other information you may think relevant. Give your opinion about how the two organizations compare against each other. Make sure the organization focuses specifically on HIV/AIDS education with this group and not a general HIV/AIDS organization or the CDC.
7) If someone asked if you could recommend a website, movie/documentary, and a book about HIV/AIDS among this group, what would you tell them. Write a brief blurb about each one, identifying the name, author/source, what it deals with specifically and what things this person would find interesting about each. You must write about all three (website, movie/documentary and book). It goes without saying that you need to write about a book other than your textbook! And please make sure you choose a website, movie/documentary, and book that is specific to your chosen population group. For example, don't choose a movie such as "Philadelphia" or a website such as the CDC or a book such as "Facts about HIV/AIDS".
8) Summarize the main ways HIV/AIDS prevention among this population group is being addressed in the US andin the other country you have selected. You need to devote equal attention to the US and the other country.
9) Identify one educational approach that has been developed to address this issue. Here you need to be specific. No generalizations or broad recommendations. You need to show your knowledge of HIV/AIDS prevention efforts targeting this population group. Look at studies that have been conducted on this topic.
10) As a future health educator (or other professional you wish to become), state what contribution you could make in everyday life to addressing HIV/AIDS prevention among this population group on a national andinternational level. Again, be specific and identify some concrete things you can do.
Things to bear in mind:
1) Make sure that you find peer-reviewed journal articles through the CUNY library website. I do not want to see articles from a google search or use of wikipedia. Your articles need to come directly from professional scientific journals which are available to you on the college library website.
For information about how to access full-text journal articles or how to contact a CUNY College librarian for help, please click on the "LIBRARY RESEARCH" button on the left.
2) Your paper needs to be written in a professional manner. That means you need to have a title for your paper on the first page followed by your name. Your paper should be formatted properly as instructed above. Make sure you number each page. Please make sure that you properly cite all your sources in your paper and provide a bibliography at the end. Make sure you follow the APA style. I do not want to see any quotes. You need to put everything in your own words and you need to cite all your sources. Make sure you click on the "WRITING TIPS" button on the left for information about writing papers as well as how to use the APA style. I have also attached a handout which is a summary of the APA style - "Professional Writing Style 101".
3) Your paper should be double-spaced, Times New Roman, 12 pt font, and be 10-13 pages long. Please choose your words carefully and thoughtfully and consider each paper as an opportunity to improve your writing skills. Use 1" margins. There are to be no big gaps between paragraphs. Please do not attempt to make the paper seem longer than it is through crafty formatting. Each paragraph should be joined to the next paragraph. Begin each paragraph by indenting it 0.3".
4) You can use a variety of resources to complete this paper, but you must use a minimum of 10 professional journal articles (e.g., New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of Health Psychology, Journal of the International AIDS Society, AIDS Education & Prevention Journal etc). The more of these professional journal articles you use, the better. These articles must have been published within the last 5 years. Full-text articles can be accessed directly by going to the Lehman library website. Please do not try to find articles through Google or Yahoo etc. I will be able to tell by the types of journals you select. If you wish to earn a good grade, I strongly recommend that you use more than the minimum number of journal articles and write more than the minimum number of pages. But remember it is quality that counts!
5) Please make sure you read the grading rubric that is attached before you submit your assignment. It is intended to help you identify which areas of your assignment are good and which areas are weak. You can see how well you have completed this assignment before you submit your work. I want you to get into the habit of assessing your own performance before you submit your work rather than waiting for someone else to give you a grade and feedback. When you finally get your grade and feedback, there should be no surprises.
6) Please write your paper in a word file and save your file as "(Your last name)ResearchPaper". For example: SmithResearchPaper.
When you are ready to submit your assignment, click on the heading above titled "RESEARCH PAPER (80 points)". Then scroll down the screen to the section that says "Assignment materials - Submission". Do NOT copy and paste your assignment in the box! Rather you need to find your file and upload it. Click on the "Browse my computer" button to find your file. Upload the file and then press "Submit" at the bottom of the screen.
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||08/03/2014 12:00 am