Project #50225 - The Mayhem We Create

1.For the first question, I would like you to conduct an internet search on water pollution.  97.5% of all water on Earth is in the oceans and therefore unsuitable for human use unless costly desalinization plants are constructed and used.  Of the remaining 2.5% that constitutes all fresh water sources on Earth - only 1% is suitable for human use as many of these sources are essential for the maintenance of the wetlands and the aquatic life in our lakes, rivers and streams.  There are many sources of water pollution including cars, business and industry, agriculture, oil and toxic chemical spills, construction and homeowners.  I would like you to pick one of these and conduct an internet search to determine what the causes and the effects on our water supply are from the source that you pick.  For example, residential water pollution – sources and effects.  You can start your search by Googling – water pollution sources. 
“If humanity were to try and replace the free services of nature with substitutes of its own manufacture, the global GNP would have to be raise by at least $33 trillion.” Wilson, The Future of Life, (106)

2.Nature provides us with innumerable free services – air, land, water, natural products, and plants and animals that keep the Earth going. One of these free services is fish – they are there for the balance of the ocean’s and fresh water ecosystems, and for human, animal and bird consumption.  So considering that – what kinds of fish do eat, and are aware of the current status of those fish? (Check the Monterey Aquarium Seafood Guide posted in the Weekly Lessons.) Would you be willing to change your fish consumption habits? In other words, what are our responsibilities as consumers to protect fragile populations of fish species?
3.Stopping the importation of exotic live species that come across our borders at all points is going to be incredibly difficult.  Ecosystems and habitats do not have discrete borders – they cross national boundaries and our obstructions in terms of walls, roads, and commercial and residential building put critically endangered species at greater risk of extinction. No small number of endangered species currently reside in the small enclaves in the south; the Texas ocelot, Big-horned sheep, Sonoran Pronghorn, Mexican wolves, just to name a few. So how do we educate the public on the dangers of the importation of lives species? Do you think people should be allowed to own exotic species here in America? Be realistic here – how do you get the public to care about this trade and the potential of causing the extinction of these species? And keep in mind that Americans are some of the world’s biggest offenders when it comes to getting and keeping exotic pets. 
4.In The Future of Life, Dr. Wilson suggests that we may be ready to begin a more thoughtful relationship about our impact on the Earth. I think this is true especially as concerns over climate change have risen. So I would like you to consider what your individual relationship is to the natural world.  When you hear the word “nature” or “habitat” – what does it mean to you?  Do you spend much time out of doors?  Are there places that are natural settings (national forests, national parks, etc.) that you like to visit?  What are your favorite animal species (but not a domesticated species such as dogs or cats)? Are you aware of what the current status of that animal species is? If you see a wild species – meaning one that is not domesticated and lives in a natural setting – what is your reaction?  

NO ESSAY OR PAPER REQUIRED. JUST ANSWER THE QUESTIONS. THANKS

Subject General
Due By (Pacific Time) 12/05/2014 12:00 am
Report DMCA
TutorRating
pallavi

Chat Now!

out of 1971 reviews
More..
amosmm

Chat Now!

out of 766 reviews
More..
PhyzKyd

Chat Now!

out of 1164 reviews
More..
rajdeep77

Chat Now!

out of 721 reviews
More..
sctys

Chat Now!

out of 1600 reviews
More..
sharadgreen

Chat Now!

out of 770 reviews
More..
topnotcher

Chat Now!

out of 766 reviews
More..
XXXIAO

Chat Now!

out of 680 reviews
More..
All Rights Reserved. Copyright by AceMyHW.com - Copyright Policy