CW1: Critical Analysis (1600 words - 30% weighting)
Submission to: Student Centre
Deadline Date: Friday 23rd January 2015 by 11.00pm
This assignment is a 1600 critical analysis of a picture (not an advertisement) in a newspaper or magazine or of a short music video. Your analysis should explore the following:
- how media organisations re-presents ideas of gender, race, sexuality or social relations to its audience;
- how a media text can be arranged for a viewer;
- how a viewer may make meaning from texts produced by the media.
Be creative and imaginative in your choice of media text and choose a text you would like to know more about and engage with on a deeper level. Your discussion should not be purely descriptive and you should draw on the ideas from readings about culture, communication, gender and social relations as well as how media content can be understood by its audience.
Important: Please include any images or if doing a music video stills with link to the music video in your work. They should also be clearly referenced in your bibliography.
- Shows a good understanding of the term culture and how communication should be considered contextually.
- Shows a good understanding of how to analyse a text and apply theory to a text.
- Shows a good analysis of chosen text to include the construction of the image and the interpretation of the image.
- Has a good argument about chosen text and offers evidence to support this argument.
- Is well presented (1.5 line spacing and sensible font used), well written and carefully proofread.
- Uses Harvard Referencing System correctly for ‘in-text’ citation (referencing) and for bibliographic entries.
- Has submitted work to Turnitin in sufficient time to check its academic integrity thereby leaving time to make adjustments if required.
- Includes text or links to text under consideration in work.