Complete the Prenatal Tab of the Google Site (step by step directions below "Creating Google Tabs"). When you complete your tab, turn in the url to the page here. There are three parts of the tab:
Written Portion: Use the following questions to GUIDE the written portion of your page, page numbers are given as well. Your written section should NOT just be a list of these answers. You should give a synopsis of this stage of development. You should cite your source (Author, page #) for any section you paraphrase from the book. Try not to use direct quotes unless you have to.
Links: Please includes links to 5-7 websites that expand on the ideas.
Video: Please embed one video on the page. To do this click insert --> video --> from youtube. It will not show it until you save your page.
* Describe the genetic events that determine the sex of the new organism.
* Discuss reproductive choices available to prospective parents, noting the pros and cons of reproductive technologies, and the alternative of adoption.
* Explain the various ways heredity and environment may combine to influence complex human traits, and discuss epigenesis.
* Cite advantages and disadvantages of parenthood mentioned by contemporary American couples.
* Review current trends in family size, parenting quality, and childbearing age, and discuss their impact on child development.
* List the three phases of prenatal development, and describe the major milestones of each.
* Define the term teratogen, and summarize the factors that affect their impact.
* List agents known to be or suspected of being teratogens, and discuss evidence supporting the harmful effects of each.
* Discuss the impact of other maternal factors on prenatal development.
* Discuss the importance of prenatal health care, and cite some of the barriers to seeking such care.
* Describe factors that contribute to personal adjustment as expectant mothers and fathers prepare for parenthood.
Describe the events leading up to childbirth and the three stages of labor.
Discuss the baby’s adaptation to labor and delivery, and describe the newborn baby’s appearance.
Explain the purpose and main features of the Apgar Scale.
Discuss the concept of natural childbirth, noting the typical features of a natural childbirth program; the benefits of the natural childbirth experience; the contributions of doula support; and the importance of social support.
Discuss the benefits and concerns associated with home delivery.
List common medical interventions used during childbirth, circumstances that justify their use, and any dangers associated with each.
Discuss parents’ feelings and involvement with their newborn babies, noting research on bonding and rooming in.â€¨
Name and describe major newborn reflexes, noting the functions served by each, and discuss the importance of assessing newborn reflexes.
Describe the newborn baby’s states of arousal, including sleep characteristics and ways to soothe a crying baby.â€¨
Describe the newborn baby’s responsiveness to touch, taste, smell, sound, and visual stimulation, including techniques for reducing infant stress to painful medical procedures.
Describe typical changes in the family system after the birth of a new baby, along with interventions that foster the transition to parenthood, and cite factors that affect adjustment to new parenthood.