Academic & Personal Integrity Readings and Essays
1-two essays. Quality thinking – quality writing – your best effort is expected
· Required formatting: Word Document, Double-spaced, 12 font, Times New Roman, 1" margins
· Students are required to answer all essay questions.
· Proper MLA (Modern Language Association) or APA (American Psychological Association) citing is required. Remember to properly cite any quote or paraphrase you use in the test of your essays. You may use the following links to ensure that your bibliographies are properly edited:
3-Essay I – 500 words or more
Read the first section of Academic Integrity: A Message to My Students written by Professor Bill Taylor and read OSU’s Shared Student Values, available for download in Unit 4 of the Academic Integrity Course and respond to the following five questions in the form of a single, unified essay.
Read OSU Shared Student Values: Download from Unit 4 of Academic Integrity Course
Respect – Empathy – Inclusion – Responsibility – Honesty and Trustworthiness – Openness
Awareness – Integrity – Growth – Courage
1. Why are personal and academic integrity important to you? How is personal integrity related to academic integrity? Is there a difference?
2. Do you agree or disagree with Professor Taylor when he says that integrity is "an essential part of any true educational experience?" Explain your answer.
3. Explain how at least three of OSU’s Shared Student Values (excluding integrity) relate to issues of academic integrity.
4. Reflect on a person or people, besides yourself, who was/were affected by your act of academic dishonesty. How did it affect them? How would you feel if you were impacted by someone else's academic dishonesty?
5. What would your response be if Professor Taylor asked you the following question: "If we don't have integrity in the small things, if we find it possible to justify plagiarism or cheating... in things that don't seem important, how will we resist doing the same in areas that really matter?" Do you think that his concern is legitimate or not? Explain.
Do not number your responses, write in an essay format. Please cite appropriately.
the socend essay
Essay II – 500 words or more
Research a current scandal that has a community impact that interests you or choose one of the examples listed below.
a. Marilee Jones' resignation from MIT
b. Hwang Woo-suk (former Seoul National University biologist who fabricated findings)
c. Kaavya Viswanathan (former Harvard University student whose best-selling novel was withdrawn after allegations of plagiarism from multiple sources)
d. Bernard Madoff (former financier who defrauded clients for a total of $50 billion or more in a Ponzi scheme)
e. The North Carolina University academic scandal
In your essay, do all of the following:
· Use a direct quote from each of your sources; and
· Using each of your sources, paraphrase a section of their work in your own words; and
· Make sure to cite your references; and
· Use at least 3 different sources!
In your essay, write an overview/summary of the situation and answer the three questions provided:
1. How did the dishonest behavior of a few people affect others?
2. What do you think should be done to those who engaged in the dishonest acts?
3. How can these types of incidents be avoided in the future?
|Due By (Pacific Time)||03/04/2015 12:00 am|
out of 1971 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 1164 reviews
out of 721 reviews
out of 1600 reviews
out of 770 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 680 reviews