PLEASE DO NOT BID OVER $50 AS THAT IS MY LIMIT FOR THIS 2 PAGE ASSIGNMENT! I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING OVER THAT PRICE. THANK YOU.
The paper is designed as a mini-research paper. You will need to do research on your own to find information useful for your topic. You should also use information provided by the prof in class and the textbook. (I will provide you this as soon as you choose a topic)
If you are unsure how to conduct independent research to find academic sources, see the tips at the end of this document or contact one of the teaching assistants for this class.
Please pay attention to the following explicit requirements:
1. Papers must be between 500 – 1000 words. This word count does not include anything that comes before the introduction or after the conclusion.
2. You must have independently found and used minimum two external sources as research for your paper. If you are unsure how to find external sources, see the tips given in this document or email one of the teaching assistants for this class.
3. There is no required style for this paper, but you should use a standard style, such as for example MLA or APA for the organization, format and referencing of your paper. However, whichever style you choose to use, you must be consistent with.
a. This requires the first page to be a formal title page with the title of your paper (you need to come up with a title), your name, your student number, the course code, your professor’s name and the date of submission. (an outline is fine for this part I will fill in the rest)
b. Your paper must have double-spacing (2.0) throughout.
c. You must use 12 pt. Times New Roman font.
d. You must have a separate references page with your sources listed in alphabetical order.
e. If you are unfamiliar with style guides such as MLA or APA, there are many resources to help you. See the tips at the bottom of this document for APA, or ask one of the teaching assistants for this class. (I will attach this file on here)
The following are prompt options for the paper. These prompts are designed to be descriptive – you do not have to make argumentative claims. Try to make one or more clear points. After we read your paper, we should know what point(s) you were trying to make. Think of this paper as a demonstration of your knowledge on a topic.
1. Animal Communication (two suggested topics) a. Describe some feature of an animal communication system and discuss the similarities and differences it may have with our human communication system. b. Discuss one of Hockett's design features.
2. Sounds/Phonetics Describe a phonetic or phonological feature of a particular language or language variety. For example, you might want to discuss "Canadian raising" or Vietnamese tones.
3. Language Acquisition Describe and discuss a major hypothesis, claim, or theory of first language acquisition. Examples: the critical period hypothesis, categorical perception of speech sounds, the principle of contrast
4. Language and the Brain Identify a specific problem humans can have with producing and/or understanding language and how these problems are connected to the brain. This might touch on written or spoken language.
5. Language Change Identify a particular language change or a series of changes and describe what we know about that change. You could consider one or more of these questions: Do we know anything about the time of the change? Is it an unusual type of change or is it a common type of change? Do we know anything about why it happened -- did it follow another change? Was it due to language contact?
6. Language and computers Pick one type of linguistic technology and explain why it is challenging. For example, why is the use of voice recognition software not widely used yet? Why is machine translation challenging?
7. Endangered languages Describe the historical and current situation of an endangered language. You many want to address issues such as: What language family does the language belong to? how many speakers remain? Are there efforts to strengthen the status of the language? Does the language have some particularly interesting linguistic features?
8. Language and society Identify a linguistic feature that is identified with a specific group of speakers (e.g., teenagers, males, lawyers, etc.) Provide some support (e.g., references) for your claim that there is a connection between the linguistic feature and the group.
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||03/20/2015 11:00 pm