- A sample of 12 senior citizens rated a new cereal, Maryland Oats, as excellent, good, fair, or poor. The level of measurement is nominal.
- According to the table below, about what percentage of the flights had 19 or fewer empty seats?
- about 29%
- about 71%
- cannot be determined
- Ratio level data are the “lowest level” of measurement and the data must be mutually exclusive.
- The midpoint of 0 up to 5 class is
- A sample of former prisoners was studied. Based on their responses, it was said that, had all former prisoners been studied, 20% would be fully adjusted. This is an example of descriptive statistics.
- The Parry-Mutual Insurance Co. is studying the number of group insurance claims submitted each week during the last year. Company records disclosed the following information.
25, 16, 10, 38, 9, 12, 8, 22
- Compute the mean
- Compute the median
- Compute the standard deviation.
- There are 14,373 members in Stone, Clay, and Glass Union.
Randomly, 326 were selected for an opinion survey. The 326 can be considered as the population.
- Describe the shape of the distributions you would expect if you were to graph each of the following.
- Annual income of U.S. families
- Heights of all women between ages 18 and 24
- Heights of all men between ages 18 and 24
- Heights of all men and women between ages 18 and 24
- As reported by the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, gold prices soared past $400 an ounce on Tuesday. The $400 is a sample.
- Sam has just finished reading in his textbook about the study of grades earned in introductory courses at UMUC. He sees that the mean grade for psychology is 2.71, whereas the mean grade in political science is 3.10. Based on this information he decides to switch his major to political science, where he feels it will be more likely he could receive an A in his courses. Do you think Sam’s decision is appropriate based on these data?
- The ages for a sample of 10 women who have just given birth to their first child are 18, 25, 31, 19, 22, 21, 19, 25, 16, and 27. Compute each of the following descriptive measures:
- the range
- the variance
- the standard deviation
- the mean
- the median
- Which of the measures of center is most affected by the degree of skew in the distribution? Explain.
- Suppose that three stores sell the following number of laptop computers from Monday through Saturday. For each store, calculate the mean, median, and mode.
Store a: 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30
Store b: 25, 30, 35, 30, 35, 25
Store c: 10, 25, 30, 36, 25, 30
- Calculate the standard deviations for the following set of measurements:
- 10, 8, 6, 0, 8, 3, 2, 2, 8, 0
- 20, 1, 2, 5, 4, 4, 4, 0
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||04/04/2015 02:00 pm