Review Questions chapters 5-6
Text: Management Information Systems Managing the Digital firm, by Kenneth C. Laudon and Jane P. Laudon 13th edition ISBN-10: 0133050696/ ISBN-13: 978-0133050691
The student will write short essay answers to the “Review Questions” at the end of each chapter. The student should please use the wording of the question in Black font and then the answers in Blue font.
Review Questions should be single spaced. Students will also write responses to the “Discussion Questions” the same way.
Chapter 5 “Review Questions”
1) What is IT infrastructure and what are its components?
-Define IT infrastructure from both a technological and a services perspective.
-List and describe the components of IT infrastructure that firms need to manage.
2) What are the stages and technology drivers of IT infrastructure evolution?
- List each of the eras in IT infrastructure evolution and describe its distinguishing characteristics.
- Define and describe the following: Web Server, application server, multitiered client/server architecture.
- Describe Moore’s Law and the Law of Mass Digital Storage.
- Describe how network economics, declining communications costs, and technology standards affect IT infrastructure.
3) What are the current trends in computer hardware platforms?
- Describe the evolving mobile platform, grid computing, and cloud computing.
- Explain how businesses can benefit from autonomic computing, virtualization, green computing, and multicore processors.
4) What are the current trends in software Platforms?
-Define and describe open source software and linux and explain their business benefits.
-Define Java and HTLM5 and explain why they are important.
-Define and describe Web services and the role played by XML.
-Name and describe the three external sources for software
-Define and describe software mashups and apps.
5) What are the challenges of managing IT infrastructure and management solutions?
-Name and describe the management challenges posed by IT infrastructure.
-Explain how using a competitive forces model and calculating the TCO of technology assets help firms make good infrastructure investments.
1) Why is selecting computer hardware and software for the organization an important management decision? What management, organization, and technology issues should be considered when selecting computer hardware and software?
2) Should organizations use software service providers for all their software needs? Why or Why not? What management, organization, and technology factors should be considered when making this decision?
3) What are the advantages and disadvantages of cloud computing?
Chapter 6 “Review Questions”
1) What are the problems of manageing data resources in a traditional File environment and how are they solved by a database management system?
- List and describe each of the components in the data history.
- Define and explain the significance of entities, attributes, and key fields.
- List and describe the problems of the traditional file environment.
- Define a database and a database management system and describe how it solves the problems of a traditional file environment.
2) What are the major capabilities of DBMS and why is a relational DBMS so Powerful?
- Name and briefly describe the capabilities of DBMS.
- Define a relational DBMS and explain how it organizes data.
- List and describe the three operations of a relational DBMS.
- Explain why Non-relational databases are useful.
3) What are some important database design principles?
-Define and describe normalization and refrential integrity and explain how they contribute to a well-designed relational database.
- Define and Describe an entity-relationship diagram and explain its role in database design.
4) What are the principal tools and technologies for accessing information from databases to improve business performance and decision making?
- Define big data and describe the technologies for managing and analyzing it.
- List and describe the components of a contemporary business intelligence infrastructure.
- Describe the capabilities of online analytical processing (OLAP)
- Define data mining, describing how it differes from OLAP and the types of information it provides.
- Explain how text mining and Web mining differ from conventional data mining.
- Describe how users can access information from a company’s internal databases through the web.
5) Why are information policy, data administration, and data quality assurance essential for managing the firms data resources?
- Describe the roles of information policy and data administration in information management.
- Explain why data quality audits and data cleansing are essential.
1) It has been said there is no bad data, just bad management. Discuss the implications of this statement.
2) To what extend should end users be involved in the selection of a database management system and database design?
3) What are the conquences of an organization not having an information policy?
|Due By (Pacific Time)||04/12/2015 09:00 pm|
out of 1971 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 1164 reviews
out of 721 reviews
out of 1600 reviews
out of 770 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 680 reviews