1) A cyclopropane-oxygen mixture is used as an anesthetic. If the partial
pressure of cyclopropane in the mixture is 445 torr and the partial pressure of
the oxygen is 1525 mm Hg, what is the total pressure of the mixture in torr?
2) A balloon is filled with helium gas. For the questions that follow, select the
letter of the balloon diagram that corresponds to the given change in
A. The balloon is put into a chamber whose pressure is greater than the
atmospheric pressure and at atmospheric temperature.
B. The temperature is changed from 50°C to -150°C at constant pressure.
3) A 156-mL bubble of hot gas at 312oC and 745 mm Hg is emitted from an
active volcano. What is the final temperature in o
F, of the gas in the bubble
outside the volcano if the volume of the bubble is 205 mL and the final
pressure is 0.600 atm, if the amount of gas remains constant?
4) When heated to 350.oC at 0.580 atm, ammonium nitrate decomposes to
produce nitrogen, water and oxygen gases. Using the ideal gas law equation,
calculate the volume in liters, of water vapor produced when 28.5 g of
2 NH4NO3 (s) ï‚® 2 N2 (g) + 4 H2O (g) + O2 (g)
5) For Questions 5A, 5B and 5C which follow, consider a 1% starch solution and
a 6% starch solution separated by a semipermeable membrane.
A. Which starch solution will decrease in volume as osmosis occurs?
B. Sketch and label a diagram showing what is happening in A above.
C. What is the name of the process that occurs in this system?
6) Calculate the following
A. The concentration, in m/m%, of a solution prepared from dissolving
56.0 g CaCl2 in 180.0 g of water?
B. The molarity of a solution which contains 25.50 g of Pb(NO3)2
dissolved in 1500. mL of solution?
7) A solution containing 50.0 g of NaNO3 in 105.0 g of H2O at 50oC is cooled to
A. How many grams of NaNO3 remain in solution at 20oC?
B. How many grams of solid NaNO3 came out of solution after cooling?
[Use the table on page 312]
8) Determine whether a solid forms when solutions containing the following salts
are mixed. If so, write the molecular equation (double replacement) and the
net ionic equation for the reaction:
A. AgNO3 and Na2S
B. K2SO4 and BaCl2
9) A patient needs to receive 75 grams of glucose every 4 hours.
A. What volume of a 5.0%(m/v) glucose solution needs to be
administered to the patient each 4 hours?
B. How many micrograms of glucose are needed in 24 hours?
10) For the following reaction,
CO(g) + 2 H2(g) â‡Œ CH3OH(g) + heat
in which direction will the equilibrium be shifted if
A. heat is added?
B. CO is removed?
C. CH3OH is added?
D. H2 is added?
11) Consider the reaction, 2 H2 + O2 → 2 H2O. What will be the effect on the rate
of reaction if the following conditions are imposed on the reaction?
A. A catalyst is added
B. H2 is removed
C. O2 is added
D. Activation energy is decreased.
E. Temperature is increased.
12) (i) Identify the following equilibrium reactions as either homogeneous of
A. 4 Fe(s) + 3 O2(g) â‡Œ 2 Fe2O3(s)
B. N2(g) + 3 H2(g) â‡Œ 2 NH3(g)
C. C(s) + O2(g) â‡Œ CO2(g)
D. CO2(g) + 2 H2(g) â‡Œ CH3OH(g)
(ii) Write the equilibrium constant Kc for each of the above reactions.
13) The equilibrium constant Kc for the reaction below is 2.0 at a certain
2 NOBr(g) â‡Œ 2 NO(g) + Br2(g)
If the equilibrium concentrations are [NOBr] = 0.10 M, [Br2] = 0.20 M, what is
the equilibrium concentration of NO?
14) A) An equilibrium reaction between ammonia and oxygen produces nitrogen
monoxide and water vapor releases 906 kJ. Write a balanced equation for
this reaction and include the states of the reactants and products.
B) Indicate how each of the following will affect the equilibrium concentration
of NH3 in the above reaction:
(1) remove O2
(2) increase the volume of the container
(3) increase the temperature of the reaction
(4) add some H2O gas
15) A) The combination reaction of solid carbon and carbon dioxide produces
carbon monoxide. Write a balanced equation for this reaction.
B) Answer the following if the equilibrium mixture above contains solid
carbon, 0.20 M CO2, and 0.040 M CO:
(i) What is the value of the equilibrium constant, Kc, for the reaction?
(ii) What is the effect of removing CO from the equilibrium mixture?
(iii)What is the effect of decreasing the volume of the container?
|Due By (Pacific Time)||04/11/2015 12:00 am|
out of 1971 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 1164 reviews
out of 721 reviews
out of 1600 reviews
out of 770 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 680 reviews