Find an article from a mainstream news site that deals with racial/ethnic disparities in health: (e.g., ABC, MSNBC, Texas Tribune, New York Times, Newsweek, Fox News, etc.). Ideally, the article should deal on some level with social factors (as you will see below in #4).
- Provide me with the Title, Publication Date, author, & a link to the article (If you provide me with a link that doesn’t work, or not one at all, then I will count off a full letter grade.) (5 points)
- In a couple of sentences, what is the main point of the article? (20 points)
- What appears to be the source of the information the article is providing? (For example, are they referencing a recent study or journal article that was published?) (10 points)
- Are social factors/causes discussed as an explanation for the disparity? If so, what are they? Does the explanation make sense? If social factors are not mentioned, discuss how you think they should have been included? (50 points)
- Based on your own critical examination of the study, and what you know about the causes of health disparities, does the article cover the topic adequately? Explain your answer. (15 points)
You do not need to write out the questions for your assignment. Rather, you can provide a normal heading, and then start with #1 and your answer, etc. All in all, your 5 answers shouldn’t be more than 2 pages double spaced, and in fact, may be somewhat shorter. Note that I am looking for critical thinking on number 4, so that will likely be a longer answer than the rest.
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||05/14/2015 01:00 pm