Your assignment this week is to construct the outline of your entire formal proposal and write the introduction, using formal formatting. To complete this assignment, you will need to have a good plan in place for your formal proposal. You are encouraged to use the three-step process weâ€™ve been studying this session. (The formal report is due in its entirety by 11:59 p.m. MT, Saturday of Week 8. In Week 6, only the outline and Introduction are due.)
This week your assignment should include the following:
- An outline of the entire proposal using traditional outline format however, your Introduction will have four subsections: Background of Problem, Purpose, Sources and Methods, and Report Organization). Use the Week 6 Outline Worksheet in Doc Sharing for the information to include in the outline. If you chose to include borrowed material in your outline, make sure you incorporate correct APA in-text citations.
- The Introduction of the proposal (written in paragraph form, not outline form) featuring the following four parts as second-level headings:
- Background of the Problem: Provide an overview of problem/situation and its importance. This is a critical section. It should describe the problem currently and reasons why the proposal is being written.
- Statement of Purpose: The statement of purpose is essentially the same as a thesis statement for an essay or paper. It only needs to be a sentence or two long.
- Sources and Methods: To establish credibility, discuss the types of research material selected to support the proposed solution and how the material will be used in the proposal. NOTE: Donâ€™t make a list of sources like you would for a References page.
- Report Organization: Provide an overview of the various sections of the report so the reader is aware of the direction and organization of the report to follow.
A successful assignment will include the following:
- An outline of the entire proposal using traditional outline format. Introduction, Solution and Benefits, Cost, and Conclusion and Recommendation will be listed as major points.
- The outline may include researched material with APA in-text citations.
- The Introduction (which will be a first-level heading) of the proposal includes all four sections as second-level headings with fully developed original text appropriate for each section.
- Evidence the writer fully firmly grasps the purpose/goals of the proposal assignment to include selecting the appropriate organizational approach.
- Proper use of formatting and style.
- An awareness and proper use of all 10 writing conventions for professional writing (as appropriate) covered in Week 2.
- Use of proper grammar, spelling, punctuation, and capitalization; written in third person.