After viewing the film you write a 4-5 page paper. Check the Course Calendar for the due date. Your paper will include:
1) a brief summary of Gandhi's life as portrayed in the movie,
2) a description of how Gandhi's wife is portrayed, how she influences his view of women, including your response,
3) what role Hinduism and other religions played in Gandhi's life
4) the origin and roots of the non-violent movement. Why was it successful in bringing independence about in India? Why did it not work to prevent the split between India and Pakistan?
4) Gandhi's mother was a practicing Jain. How would this have influenced his lifestyle?
You will want to discuss the following concepts: exclusivism, pluralism, how Gandhi views the Divine or Ultimate Reality, the role of women in religion, and 4) your personal response to Gandhi. I prefer that you rent (it can also be purchased and is worth sharing with your family and friends) the movie. If you are unable to obtain the movie you may complete the alternate assignment below.
While I strongly urge students to watch the movie, this assignment is for students unable to view the Gandhi film.
http://www.mkgandhi.org/main.htm. Click on this link.Click on Biography and read about Gandhi's life in 5000 words. Then click on Peace and Non Violence. Click on The Gospel of Nonviolence and read the article.
Write a 3-5 page paper discussing the following questions:
1) Write a summary of biography's life, making note of those part of his life that contributed to his decision to purse nonviolence as a strategy against oppression.
2) What role does religion play in Gandhi's life? How does he view religion? Knowing what you do from having read Fisher's chapter on Hinduism how does Hinduism influence his view of religion.
3) Describe Gandhi's philosophy of nonviolence. What role does religion play? Under what circumstances would Gandhi permit violence? How does he distinguish between violence as a goal of individual life and violence as a goal of the state?
4) How does Gandhi view women?
|Due By (Pacific Time)
||09/26/2015 05:00 pm