The student will design a comprehensive Security Plan for:
- a local public library.
- If the library is contained within another building or structure, then the Security Plan should address the structure in general, and the library in particular as the security target.
- a full-service grocery store
- Acceptable: national/regional food store chain (e.g., Giant, Kroger, Win-Dixie, military base commissary, etc.)
- Not acceptable: local mini-mart (e.g., 7-Eleven, Wa-Wa, Highs, etc.)
- A full-service department store
- Acceptable: national/regional department store (e.g., Macys, Sears, Wal-Mart, military base PX,etc.)
- A full-service hardware store
- Acceptable: national/regional chain hardware/lumber retailer (e.g., Lowes, Home Depot, 84 Lumber, military base PX, etc.)
NOTE: If ALL of these proposed sites are impossible, contact your instructor for an alternate project located in the "Instructor Only" area of the classroom .
Write an 1,600 (minimum) to 2.000 (maximum) word report that addresses the issues and problems listed. References must include the text and at least three (3) external (not class instructional material) scholarly sources that support the points made in the report.
Address the following general topic areas:
· Physical plant intrusion (e.g., burglary)
· Property damage, interior and exterior (e.g., vandalism, theft, etc.)
· Personal security (e.g., assault, personal property loss/damage, etc.)
· Information/records security
· Emergency planning and response
· OSHA standards and violations
· Hiring practices
· Training practices
· Legal issues unique to the site
· Recommended policies and procedures (topics only)
You must also apply the risk management principles learned in class; namely, identification of assets, identification of risks or threats, assessment of probability of individual threat occurrence and the criticality of those threats.
Any comprehensive security plan should consider the least expensive strategy that effectively and efficiently addresses the identified need.
- Include an introductory section that explains the purpose of the paper; provides brief summary of the facility being reviewed; and details the crime prevention and security measures currently in place.
- Include your overview of security issues that will be addressed in your security plan
- Paper should be a minimum of 1,600 to a maximum of 2,000 words in narrative text
- Include (upload) a minimum of 4 photographs or sketches capturing security concerns and references in the Security Plan
- References must include the text and at least three (3) external scholarly sources (not course instructional material)
- The best source for "scholarly" references in the UMUC Library ...see RESOURCES on our Classroom page.
- Double space, 12 pt. font, 1” margins
- Use American Psychology Association (APA) content citation format for all sources
- Include a reference page using APA format guidelines (not included in page count)
· Create a cover page for your assignment (not included in word count)
· Include your name
· Course title and number
· Project title
· Date of submission