Practice Quiz (Show all work for full credit.)
1. Label and indicate the role of each of the following on the electrochemical cell diagram
Anode Cathode Electrode Salt bridge
Electron flow Reducing agent Oxidizing agent
a. Where does oxidation take place? b. Where does reduction take place?
2. Correct the incorrect statements
a) SHE stands for Standard Helium Electrodes.
b) E° is the standard electrode potential.
c) The standard electrode potential is the oxidation potential of a half cell.
d) The standard cell potential is the potential difference between two half cells.
e) E°cell is the standard cell potential.
f) A single vertical line separates half cells in a cell diagram.
g) A double vertical line separates phases in a cell diagram.
h) A voltaic cell is an electrolytic cell.
i) Voltaic cells produce an electron flow.
j) Electrolytic cells are cells where electron flow is caused by spontaneous reactions.
k) An anode is where oxidation occurs.
l) A cathode is where reduction occurs.
3a. Balance the following reaction (base): CuS + NO3- Ò Cu2+ + NO + S8
3b. Balance the following reaction (acid) As + ClO3- Ò H3AsO3 + HClO
4. Determine E°cell for the reaction: 2 Al + 3 Zn2+ → 2 Al3+ + 3 Zn. The half reactions are:
Al3+(aq) + 3 e- → Al(s) E° = -1.676 V
Zn2+(aq) + 2 e- → Zn(s) E° = -0.763 V
5. Determine E °cell for the reaction: 3 Sn2+ + 2 Al(s) → 2 Al3+ + 3 Sn(s)
Al3+ + 3 e- → Al(s) E° = -1.676 V
Sn2+ + 2 e- → Sn(s) E° = -0.137 V
6. Determine the cell potential for the following at 25°C: Ptâˆ£Fe2+ (0.0562M), Fe3+ (0.253M)âˆ£âˆ£Ag+ (0.334M)âˆ£Ag
Ag+ + e- → Ag(s) E° = 0.800 V Fe3+ + e- → Fe2+ E° = -0.771 V
7. Calculate the mass of aluminum deposited by the passage of a constant current of 5.00 A through a
Al(NO3)3 solution for 2.00 hours.
8a. Based on the standard reduction potentials, rank in order of strongest reducing agent. Al,Ni, Cr, Al, I-
8b. Based on the standard reduction potentials, rank in order of strongest oxidizing agent. Cl2 H2 Mg Mg2+ Cl–
|Due By (Pacific Time)||11/18/2015 08:00 pm|
out of 1971 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 1164 reviews
out of 721 reviews
out of 1600 reviews
out of 770 reviews
out of 766 reviews
out of 680 reviews