Select the topic for your individual application project and report. Complete assignment description below:
- Select the organization and, briefly, explain the areas that will be involved in the diagnosis and possible OM areas (from your readings of Chapters 1 and 2).
- Make sure you have access to the data and it is meaningful to you. The application project is designed for students to apply in real settings the methodologies learned in class.
You will be able to make changes as you continue gathering data. Don't hesitate to contact the instructor for suggestion and resubmit the topic after receiving feedback from the instructor.
due Saturday of WEEK ONE at midnight.
Individual OM Application Project – 30%
Each student will select a real business or consumer service organization for analysis. You should assume that you has been hired by the company as management consultants to evaluate and improve company operations. You may select your current job as the organization to be evaluated –please make sure to receive a written permission with informed consent from a supervisor and utilize publicly available data. The theories, principles and techniques discussed in this course are to be applied in this study. The focus will be on OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT.
The OM evaluation will include the following:
- outline and discuss the relevant issues/problems underlying the topic, including historical comments if desired. You may select one or two OM areas in need of improvement for this particular organization.
- generate creative solutions that are original based on specific theories and models learned in class and presented in the textbook.
- present the synthesis or proposed position concerning the issue in a logical manner.
- contain accurate and complete data. Information shall be publicly available or work under written permission of a supervisor if needed.
The sections of the study should include the following main headings –you will organize the information under different subheadings depending upon the topic:
- Problem Statement
- Diagnosis and OM Evaluation
- Application of Methodologies and OM Theories
- List of References
- Appendices (figures, tables with data, and letter of informed consent if using job-related information).
At least 8 academic references are required for this project in addition to the textbook and information gathered with data for the selected organization. That is, the application project will be written as a paper supported by a combination of studies about the methodology to be used, the company, and best practices within the industry.
The report shall be typed, double-spaced, in Times New Roman 12-point font in addition to the following guidelines:
- Students must follow APA format for proper grammar, spelling, sentence/paragraph structure, and footnote or endnote structure. All cases are to be written in the third person as a professional paper. Citations and a reference page are required for this assignment.
- A cover sheet shall include the student’s name, course number, the report title, faculty member's name, and the date submitted.
- Titles/ headings/ subheadings for each section should be used.
The expected length for the application project is between 10 to 12 pages. It is due at the end of Session Five.